Thursday, August 30, 2007

Things What Go to Eleven

More fun as I try to find a theme for this blog.

Unless you haven't, you've seen the clip. Nigel Tufnel and Martin DiBergi looking at the control panel of an amplifier. All of the dials go from 1 to 11 instead of the usual 1 to 10. Nigel explains how it works.



NIGEL: ...all the way up. You’re on ten on your guitar...where can you go from where? Where?
MARTY: I don’t know....
NIGEL: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is if we need that extra... push over the
cliff...you know what we do?
MARTY: Put it up to eleven.
NIGEL: Eleven. Exactly. One louder.
MARTY: Why don’t you just make ten louder and make ten be the top... number... and make that a little louder?
(pause)
NIGEL: These go to eleven.
[Transcribed from the movie, This Is Spinal Tap]


Pure hilarity. Perhaps I could have a blog dedicated to things that have that extra push over the cliff. Things which are one louder. Things that go to eleven.

For example, Izzy Stradlin's album, "117 Degrees". Like all of Stradlin's albums, 117 Degrees rocks. That would be a great place to start on a blog going to eleven. (I know, I could have started with This is Spinal Tap, but that would have been too obvious.)

I know what you're thinking. "Mark, you're basically stealing from Tap." But you're wrong. I'm actually stealing from Jump The Shark. I borrowed from Tap to steal from Shark.

Okay, I'm stealing from both. I could make it a hat trick by stealing from Izzy and calling it "Things What Go to 117." I'll keep that idea in mind.


Pros:

Get to share things over a cliff, things going to 11, and things going to 117
Free advertising for folks who contribute to society

Cons:

That whole stealing thing.
I run the risk of over popularizing things, which makes them totally not go to 11
It may further dilute the cleverness of the original joke.


And have a good day.

2 comments:

Melissa Rethlefsen said...

I love Spinal Tap, though I must say my all-time, roll-on-the-floor-laughing favorite scene is the Stonehenge one.

Mark Wentz said...

The first time I saw Spinal Tap it was a free show at college. When the movie started, there were about 12 people in the audience. By the end, there were about 6. Those 6 who left really missed out!