Monday, August 6, 2007

Mama Told Me (Not to Come)

This week (week 5.0, for those keeping score at home) in Libraries 2.0, we are learning about wikis. I am interested in wikis as I think it would be cool to set one up for my family to create a family history. Hopefully, by the end of this, I will have learned how.

I had looked at wikis before. We were also given a list of wikis to browse as examples. A few things struck me.
First, were format changes. Most of the wikis I've seen look that same; only the names are different. However, a couple of the wikis on the browse list actually looked not like Wikipedia. That's always good. Good except that you can't necessarily tell at a glance that the web site you're on is a wiki. We'll learn.
Second, I can't imagine trying to look at all of the pages, even in a smaller one. It's not organized in an orderly enough fashion. It seems, and I'm no ... um ... expert in this, to be a mini-web inside the web--just as difficult to search and just as important to bookmark favorites.
Third, I noticed one had an RSS feed icon. Can you imagine that? Imagine the feeds from Wikipedia with how often it is added to and edited.

By the way, the blog post's title comes from a link in one of the wikis. For a bit of fun, they gave a link to a web site where you could see the song which was number 1 on the charts the day you were born. Unfortunately, I was born under a Three Dog Night song called "Mama Told Me (Not to Come)". It explains a lot, but I can't be held responsible for it, can I?

And have a good day.

5 comments:

Ann Farrell said...

Hah, and mine is "Hey There" by Rosemary Clooney-- I'll let you figure what year that was!

Mark Wentz said...

Wow! I didn't know Clooney had any #1 hits in 1978. I'm learning a lot!

Ann Farrell said...

Yeah, flattery will get you everywhere!

Melissa Rethlefsen said...

Mine was Debbie Boone's "You Light Up My Life." Ugh. My little sister's was Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer." Lucky girl.

Mark Wentz said...

So far, Melissa's little sister is in the lead, if only because the video for Sledgehammer includes a chicken undergoing mitosis--a rare feat in music video animal husbandry history.

In fairness, though, I don't know what kind of poultry antics occurred in the video for "Hey There." It's safe to say that this race is not over yet.