Thursday, September 6, 2007

The Physics of Web Surfing

It dawned on me this morning that I have not yet posted anything about Star Trek. I believe every web site is required by Internet Protocol version 4 (IPv4) to share something about Star Trek. (That may change in IPv6 what with commoners having more access to the internet, but I don't know yet.)

So allow me share this with you. Why is it that so many space vehicles, like the Starship Enterprise, are aerodynamic? There is no atmosphere in outer space. Aerodynamics are useless. (I would have said "pointless," but since so many aerodynamic objects physically come to a point ...) That was one of two great things about the Borg. First, it/they is/are called The Borg which, at least at that time, was funny. The second is that the Borg ship is a big cube. No travel physics whatsoever--just a big crate putzing through space.

There is one thing missing on fictional spaceships, however: cowcatchers. If you're traveling at mach 7 (or whatever), you never know when you might happen upon a space object (like stars, asteroids, John Glenn, etc.). At mach speed, you won't have time to change course. You need apparatus to knock away any objects which might cause damage. A cowcatcher is perfect for that.

So there you have it. I've solved another of life's problems.

And have a good day.

2 comments:

David said...

Two things:

First, a federation starship has to be prepared for th eneed to actually descend into a planetary atmosphere. It has happened. In these circumstances, aerodynamics matter.

Second, sleek lines are important on a spacecraft because they LOOK cool. Hey, red sports cars don't go any faster than lavender ones- but I'd much rather drive a red one- wouldn't you?

:)

Best,

-David

Mark Wentz said...

I'm not sure. I painted the car to look like the Partridge Family bus.
-Mark