Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Word O' The Day

(continuing my exploration of possible focus points for the blog)

From where do words come? Someone makes one up and uses it long enough that others follow and use the word. Soon, it's used by many and news reports inform us about it being added to the dictionary. So, here's an option: a word-a-day blog where all of words are newly invented. Some may stick and some may fail, but they can all be traced back to here. Like "deort." Deort is that point when the dream becomes the reality. I wish to have a doughnut. While I'm walking to the bakery, I have a dream about eating a doughnut. I'm at the bakery and the moment I touch the doughnut is the deort moment.

Pros:
I would be able say I invented words
We'd have new words to overuse to the point where they become meaningless
Job security for folks who add words to dictionaries and for those who report on such events

Cons:
It'd never succeed
It's twice as much work as it would seem: I would need to invent words AND definitions
It'd be really embarrassing to misspell words I created

With that, we've come to the deort for those dreaming that this blog entry would end.

And have a good day.

No comments: