Monday, July 23, 2007

Dollars to Doughnuts

David Rothman, in his lecture to us, noted that we can use the blogs as a way of becoming experts and displaying our expertise. Maybe I should go that route, as opposed to just sharing information and opinions on my interests. But the discussion then focuses on areas of expertise: in what area would I like to become an expert. Of course, the two ideas are not mutually exclusive. In fact, it would probably be best to have my expertise in an area in which I have interest.

Here's an option: doughnuts. I could become an expert in doughnuts. I could scour all the latest information in doughnuts through RSS. After a bit of learning, I could be an expert in the whys and wherefores of doughnutry. (I could start demonstrating my expertise by not using made-up words like "doughnutry.") I could share the latest information on new ingredients and baking methods which make doughnuts taste better or make doughnuts less unhealthy.

Let's give it a try:

Caffeinated doughnuts: by the end of the year, a scientist should have doughnuts with caffeine ready for public consumption. There's no word on, with the limited space in bakeries for doughnuts, how this will affect the availability of regular doughnuts. (Okay, not much for expertise, but I'm not there yet. I've just started.)

Pros:
Area of interest


Cons:
How much progress can be made in the doughnut industry?
Any discussion on the subject would probably include coffee. (Yeech!)
Might want to focus on healthful foods


And have a good day.

3 comments:

Melissa Rethlefsen said...

Doughnut-expertise is very valuable, I am certain.

Ann Farrell said...

I'm sure you've checked this out, but if you haven't: http://www.dunkindonutstalk.com/2005/01/16/dunkin-donuts-evolves-from-no-frills-to-espresso-and-wifi-looks-westward-for-growth/

Mark Wentz said...

Thanks for the encouragement. Also, I've added the Dunkin Donuts Talk link to the blog. Hopefully, I'll come across more like this on my way to expertland.
-Mark